As the world has shrunk to our web interface, we can reach out to just about anyone and everyone with a click. These revolutionary changes in the ways we communicate, shop, relay information, advertise or conduct our businesses has led to a surge in the quantity and quality of websites, which function as our virtual face to the world.
In a congested medium, where netizens are spoilt for choice, a prime concern for companies is to ensure their website stands out instead of being lost in the crowd. It is for this reason, that website designing has nearly become a science form. Web designers must tap into their creative and technical reserves to fashion a website that not only intrigues the web surfers, but also ensures that they keep coming back. Website designing requires ample planning, attention and foresight to score best results.
Here are a few guidelines for an effective website design:
1. The page layout of the website should be clutter free and user-friendly, such that the visitors instantly grasp the relevant message of the website and have an easy time navigating it for further information.
2. It is essential that the designer must not go overboard with graphics and gimmicks which may make the site pop but also hamper it’s loading speed.
3. The logo, main menu, search bar, content and the footer must all be clearly highlighted.
4. The website design should be consistent across pages, such that the user switches from one interface to another without discord, giving the site an organized feel.
5. There should be ample whitespace or negative space, which is the section of the site not filled with written or visual content, allowing the viewer room to “breathe” rather than bombarding them with too much information.
6. The screen resolution, in that the layout width should be enough for the user to view your content without the need to scroll left and right. Also, the content must be aligned appropriately for a professional and visually compelling appeal.
7. Since the landing page is the first page the user will access, it should be aesthetically designed and should contain the gist of what your webpage has to offer and an unforgettable logo.
8. Trust building efforts go a long way to win a loyal base among internet users. Learning about the clientele’s needs will enable the designer to incorporate and address their concerns in the website design. For instance, the privacy and security policies must be clearly earmarked to dispel any cybercrime fears.
9. Enlisting favorable reviews by customers, as well as certification by reputed companies on the site will serve as a testament to the company’s credibility.
10. Along the same vein, another winning tactic is to seek the customer’s feedback to improve the user experience further. Instead of hounding them to continue their association with the site, create an exit intent survey to invite their suggestions.
11. The website’s popularity can be further enhanced by a good sprinkling of keywords across the site, given that these keywords are in tune with the content on the specific page.
12. Since title tags and Meta descriptions are the first glimpses of the website that potential viewers register, they should be unique and concise to keep the search engine traffic from shifting their attention to some other sites.
13. Premium quality content is the trump card which converts prospective customers into loyal clients and is therefore of prime importance. The content should be carefully streamlined to highlight the company’s position and promise, and give the viewers a reason to stick around. The content must be proofread for any grammatical or spelling errors, as such slights would reflect badly on the company.